A designer with big picture perspective
I infuse functionality, business, and marketing expertise into websites and web applications. I practice user-focused design. I’m a pattern finder and optimizer. I advocate for inclusion in technology.
I am user-focused. I’m an adept listener and advocate for your users (the real humans that use your site or app). I keep your users a priority right away and throughout the design & development process.
I’ve got technical chops. I’ve done site building in many different content management systems (CMSs)—including ExpressionEngine, Drupal, ModX, Joomla, Statamic, and WordPress. And I’m experienced in front-end development, with thousands of hours logged. On the technical side, I even understand web infrastructure like domain records, SSL/TSL certificates, and CDNs. I am passionate about accessible websites, fast websites and functional clarity.
I’m a pattern finder and optimizer. Understanding the big picture of your project, goals, and users lets me find patterns, apply consistency. Plus, I keep going until I am satisfied it’s efficient. This will manifest in my curiousity about search engine optimization, website speed, and streamlined design.
I’m at ease communicating with internal teams and external clients. I’m adept at listening for both hopeful visions and underlying pain points. I led a digital agency with several employees, multiple contractors and vendors, and a full roster of clients for over 10 years. I can communicate with developers, product owners, and marketers. And I can take on the challenge of bridging those perspectives together.
All this makes me an insightful designer with loads of real world experience and a very large set of design tools. Sound too good to be true? How can I possibly be any good at all these things? A curious mind and a lot of practice.
Susan immediately impressed me with her approach, intelligence and professionalism.— Lee Barkley, Director of Technology, Consumer Experiences, Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts
Want to tap into my knowledge and use my design skills on your next project? I’d love to talk about it.
Media & Speaking Engagements
- Quoted in Oliver Lindberg’s “The Web Designer’s Guide to Client Onboarding,” Shopify, August 2, 2017.
- Interviewed by Lea Alcantara and Emily Lewis for CTRL-CLICK CAST, about “Developing Long-term Client Relationships,”, March 16, 2017.
- Presented at ExpressionEngine Conference, “Partnerships Not Projects: How to Cultivate Long-Term Client Relationships,” October 3, 2016.
Community & Volunteering
- Organizer, ExpressionEngine Conference, Denver, Colorado, 2017
- Advisory Committee Member, Multimedia & Graphic Design, Arapahoe Community College, Littleton, Colorado, 2017-current
- Advisory Council Member, TEC-P Colorado, 2016-current
- Co-founder, Project Freshkicks, Denver, Colorado, 2011
- Executive Board & Sustainability Co-Director, AIGA Colorado, 2007-2010
- Adjunct Faculty, Graphic Design, Rocky Mountain College of Art + Design, Greater Denver, Colorado, 2006-2008
Susan was always the voice of calm and reason within our team of leadership. She always had incredible ideas that were well thought out, was thoughtful to include others in decision making and always went above and beyond the call of duty.— Mindy Nies, President (2007-2009), AIGA Colorado